Confession time, guys: over the past year, I’ve become a rabid 24 fan. I’d never really watched it before (despite the insistent proddings of family and friends who were fans), but with the writer’s strike and everything I had some time and some friends who goaded me into catching up and boy-howdy, did I enjoy it. It’s pure action and fun, and there’s really nothing not to love about it.
It’s just entered its 7th season now, and like any show running for that long, it has developed patterns and trends that happen every season, if not every episode. This is exactly the kind of thing that is ripe for a drinking game. I searched around at what’s already out there, but the current drinking games for 24 are so silly and predictable they’re not worth playing. So guess what I did? If you guessed started an ostrich farm, you’re only half right. The other thing I did was create…
In order to create a balanced and steady game that doesn’t get you wasted in the first 15 mins and then leave you in the lurch for the last 45 mins, I’ve created the following rules. I’ve tried to make them as generic and non-season-specific as possible, so you should be able to go back and play the game with old episodes if you so desire (you should always follow your desires*).
Take one drink if:
- Jack says “damn it!”
- You hear the CTU/FBI ringtone
- Something (security systems, computers, video, etc.) is hacked into
- Someone needs an open socket
- Jack orders someone to do something “NOW!”
Take two drinks if:
- Someone requests something sent to their screen, PDA, or phone
- Someone flanks, moves into position, or secures the perimeter
- Something is going to happen “within the hour”
- Someone needs schematics or requests access codes
- Someone requests to be “patched through” or conferenced in to a call
- Jack promises to “I give you my word”
Take three drinks if:
- Jack orders someone to drop their weapon
- Jack drops his weapon
- Chloe is awkward
- Chloe is a pain in the ass
- Someone is followed
- Jack breaks protocol, the law, or commits treason
- Someone is tortured until they give up information
Take a shot if:
- Jack says he “doesn’t have time to explain”
- Jack says “I just need you to trust me”
- Jack says “Right now he’s our only lead!”
- Jack “had no choice”
- A suspected “bad guy” is really a good guy working undercover
- Someone thought to be dead is actually still alive
Finish your drink if:
- A mole is revealed in CTU, the President’s staff, or the FBI
- Jack recovers from death or near-death in an inhuman amount of time (like within the hour)
- Someone mentions Jack’s wife or his estranged relationship with Kim (this rule won’t work in the 1st season)
Drink and Don’t Stop if:
- The countdown timer to a bomb or whatever is running out of time…stop drinking when the timer stops
Toast and Finish Drink:
- If someone important dies and the episode ends in the “silent clock”. RESPECT.
I think it’s a pretty solid set of rules. It’s hard to say this season with things being so different if it will still work, but if things keep going the way they have, it should work out just fine. Happy drinking!
*As with anything like this, we’re not responsible if you drink too much and you’re big boys and girls and you should know your limits yadda yadda we don’t have any money to sue for anyway so don’t waste your time.